prologue
nce upon a city is a ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
staff
credit
skin made for ouac by hedgie
table of contents
newest chapters
#/# update here

#/# update here

#/# update here

affiliates

Add Reply
New Poll

you always walked a step behind, harper!!!!!!!!!!
PENELOPE H. DIGGORY
 Posted: Aug 13 2015, 11:27 PM

I can fly higher than an eagle

"You need a serious extracurricular if you want to look good to colleges." That was what her guidance counselor said to her, and Penelope was so upset. Sure, Art Club wasn't exactly a 100% serious club to be in, and it wasn't really technically a school-sanctioned extracurricular just yet, but so what?! Penelope didn't even want to go to college, but it was just another path she was expected to take. She was looking at Barrie University just because her friends were considering going to Barrie, but other than that, there was no way she was shooting for Ivy League, especially not with her mediocre GPA and the extracurriculars she apparently didn't have.

After her meeting with her guidance counselor, she sat in the hallway since it was her free period, wondering what other other club she possibly wanted to join. She had a list in front of her of all the clubs, with ones her counselor thought she'd be interested in highlighted, but she was interested in exactly none of them. Her counselor had had every previous Diggory and just assumed Penelope was like them, so some sports things were highlighted along with National Honor Society. Theatre was a possibilty, but Penelope was... a... terrible actress. She couldn't even keep a secret with a straight face.

Yearbook was another possibilty, but it was pretty full and Nahnie probably didn't want her messing anything up. Not that Nahnie was really like that, at all, but that was her thing and Penelope would forget to take pictures, no doubt. Okay, what else was there? At the bottom of the list, Newspaper was written in. The Baum newspaper had been pretty unpopular and chaotic over the past few years, since this one person in Daphne's class graduated, actually. She had heard they had just gotten a new editor-in-chief, and it was a new girl, so they must be really desperate! Plus, with the state it had been in, Penelope would have kind of low expectations put on her, so she could blow them out of the water. Plus, why didn't the newspaper have comics? The comics were the only good part of a newspaper, anyway.

So Penelope marched her way up to the newspaper room, trying not to get nervous about it. They'd take her, right? Did she have to apply or interview or anything? Okay, nevermind, she needed to bring like a portfolio or something. Wait... Yeah! Penelope dug through her bagpack and pulled out one of the few journals that were in there, which was actually a sketchbook full of doodles. Yes, this was perfect!!!

Feeling more confident now, she continued her march up to the newspaper room, hoping that whoever the editor-in-chief was had her free period this hour too. Knocking on the frame of the open door, she called in. "Hello?" she called, peering in to see someone standing there, but not wanted to intrude if she was busy or something.

'cause you're the wind beneath my wings

!!!!!!!!!

HARPER
PM
^
HARPER A. HAGGERTY
 Posted: Sep 14 2015, 01:10 AM

OUTFIT
PENELOPE
so excited!!
Harper felt like she was suddenly in charge of an infant. The Baum Newspaper was a wailing, screaming, overly dependent infant that didn't even know how to crawl. That might have been a cruel assessment, but Harper had been at Baum Academy for two days and editor-in-chief of the school's newspaper for one and already she felt like she had been tricked into the position so that the poor excuse for journalism could drag down one more victim.

Okay, maybe Harper was a little dramatic, but that was just her journalistic side. The newspaper really was a flaming, sinking ship, though, and she had had to hit the ground running to salvage what was left of it. The rest of the newspaper team was apathetic, resigned to the fate of their creative talents slowly fizzling out of existence. Well, Harper was not going to have it! She had sent the rest of the staff who shared a free period with herself out to run interviews, listen on some gossip, take pictures, anything to go in print. Obviously she didn't have the luxury to be picky, but there was more to Baum than the lunch menu and new editions in the library. Surely a prestigious boarding school in New York City was oozing with juicy gossip; Harper had seen Gossip Girl, after all.

Now, the newspaper wouldn't be filled with fodder; no, that would be reserved for a small column, nothing close to front page news. They would start running creative horoscopes, asking for anonymous submissions for embarrassing stories, begin an advice column, maybe do some real investigative journalism. Was there an underground cheating ring? Drug dependency among the top ten percent? Anything to catch the eye of her new fellow students, new peers, and get the newspaper into the people's hands. The newspaper room was brimming with previous editions just waiting to be hauled off to the recycling plant because no one read them. Walking across the room, Harper picked up a paper from three weeks earlier and flipped through; nothing caught her attention, nothing grabbed her eye and begged to be read. With a frustrated huff, Harper tossed the newspaper over her shoulder and stormed over to the new idea board. It was a large bulletin board that had been untouched (not surprising); Harper had emailed the staff and requested that each member pitch at least two ideas for stories or they would be removed from the team. Everyone responded, of course, because things like holding a position for your school's newspaper always look good on college applications. Harper had bought colorful push pins from the school bookstore and tacked up each idea, and now she stared at it with a furrowed brow, red pen in one hand, yellow highlighter in the other.

New York City was so interesting, so Harper was beginning to feel overwhelmingly underwhelmed by the content in front of her. She had been in the city for three days total and had yet to explore most of the wonders because she was too busy setting up her room, getting into classes, and dyeing the ends of her hair teal. Even though the main goal was purple, she had decided to go teal first and try out different colors. It was New York, right? Concrete jungle wet dream tomato? The city that never sleeps? Harper definitely felt like sleeping while looking at the bulletin board. With a delicate swoop, Harper placed a large red "X" over one page. It was kind of unfortunate that the staff would come in and see their ideas being criticized and dumped but Harper felt it was necessary to show them the editing process of someone who knew what she was doing, even if she had to step on toes along the way.

A few pages were highlighted and covered in notes, many more x'd. What else did the newspaper need? Perhaps a comics section? If Harper was being real with herself, most teenagers didn't want to read. Even if they did, comics could break up the dull monotony of blocks and blocks of text. Harper would have to ask around to see if anyone on staff had drawing experience, maybe open up interviews for it. She had already drafted up flyers to possibly print out and hang around school offering interviews for freelance writers. As she was staring at the bulletin board, regarding her notes, Harper heard a knock on the door, followed by a "hello".Who the heck? If that was one of the people she had sent out to get stories, they better have a column already typed up after being gone for all of fifteen minutes. Glancing over her shoulder, Harper said "What's up?" turning back to the board.

Wait.

Holy shit wait just a damn minute.

Harper whipped around, not knowing if she could believe her eyes or not. "Penelope??" There was no way, no damn way, was there?

PM
^
PENELOPE H. DIGGORY
 Posted: Nov 11 2015, 03:39 PM

This was a bad idea. Penelope wasn't really all that talented, and there was no way the newspaper needed someone else untalented and just looking for an extracurricular to add to a college application. She shouldn't have bothered, oh gosh, she just needed to walk back out and look at the list again and -

Penelope knew that voice.

As terrible as her memory was, there were some things she would never forget. Not ever. Not even if it had changed just a little bit through the years, not even if she had her memory erased like in a sci-fi movie. Bestfriendship was kind of like that. So while she had been shyly looking down at her feet, her head instantly whipped up just as the girl was turning her head back to a bulletin board full of papers and colors and other things.

And then the girl looked back around and it was confirmed, and Penelope was sure her jaw dropped to the floor, as did her bag, as she ran across the room screaming "HARPER!!!!, before tackling her with the biggest hug she had probably given anybody ever. Luckily, they didn't fall over, and Penelope practically squeezed the life out of Harper and felt tears coming to her eyes. "If this is a dream, I don't ever wanna wake up," she mumbled into Harper's shoulder, suddenly feeling every emotion ever at once. If this was a dream, it's be a stupid dream because of course she would have to wake up eventually and Harper would be gone again, just like that.

Not intending on letting go anytime soon, she rocked her back and forth, so happy and wonderful and sure this wasn't a dream, because if it was, there was no way she could read all those individual little notes on the bulletin board, one of which said "comics section?" Oh gosh, if this really were real, she would absolutely LOVE to be in newspaper if Harper was there, like. Oh gosh!!!! Harper!!!! At Baum!!!!! Right in front of her!! in her arms forever and ever!!! She was never ever gonna let go, nope, no way. Not ever. They were gonna have to find a way to get though life in this exact position forever. "Please tell me you haven't been here forever, oh my gosh!!!!" She was oblivious, but hopefully not that oblivious.

harpelope diggerty 4lyf

HARPER
PM
^
HARPER A. HAGGERTY
 Posted: Feb 25 2016, 06:35 PM

OUTFIT
PENELOPE
friend goals that surpass spongebob and patrick
This literally wasn't real life? But it had to be, because Penelope immediately ran up and gave her a hug so tight that if it was a dream she would be woken up. If she had any free room, she would be jumping up and down, but instead Harper channeled her excited energy into hugging Pen back just as tightly. Harper felt her eyes well up with happy tears and she freely cried because even though it had been forever, Penelope was still her best friend and this was a no-judgement zone. "It can't be a dream because we'd be reuniting somewhere much more fun than a classroom!" Of course Harper had envisioned this moment before, just taking place at a beach or Disney World or somewhere actually exciting.

It would take a crowbar to pry them off of each other, honestly, but Harper was fine because part of her was still afraid to let her go in case she would be gone again. They rocked back and forth and Harper no longer cared about the sinking ship of a newspaper, or finding friends, or figuring out where the library was. She had Pen back and that was the only friend she needed and oh god she was just so excited!! They had so much catching up to do and Harper already had a million plans milling about in her head. Shopping in the city, going all the way up the Empire State Building, taking a tour of 30 Rock, going to see SNL, dedicating a day to all the different candy stores...so many things they could do!!

Harper laughed when Penelope said "please tell me you haven't been here forever". Some things didn't change, Penelope included. "No, this is only my second day at school! I spent most of yesterday in the office getting my schedule sorted out otherwise I would have, like, sensed you and found you!!" Like spidey senses, but with best friends. Harper still was having trouble wrapping her mind around the fact that she was seeing her best friend again. Of course, some unpleasant memories surfaced as she sat there hugging Penelope. That one time Pen visited Boston and as coincidence would have it, they found each other again but Harper's parents said they couldn't hang out and Penelope couldn't come visit. Moving from Atlantic City to Boston as a kid and thinking she would never see Penelope again. Ha, if only her parents could see her now! She would have to get a cute picture of them later so she could put it on Facebook for her mom to see.

"Wait, why did you come here? Did you want to join the newspaper?" OMG Penelope had to join newspaper!! Harper was already going slightly crazy from dealing with it but she knew Penelope would be a great addition because anything she would contribute would be amazing. Penelope had always been artistic, maybe she could do comics or help with them? Harper finally broke free of the hug and held Penelope's shoulders, bouncing on her toes. "You have to join the newspaper!!! You can do comics or something else equally fun, don't even worry about needing to show me anything because I know you'd be great at it and please please please join so that we can hang out during school because I'm already thinking of ways to force you to hang out with me anytime we're not in class." Harper took a deep breath after finishing her long winded sentence, grinning wildly and still bouncing on her toes.

PM
^
PENELOPE H. DIGGORY
 Posted: Feb 26 2016, 04:43 PM

"You're right!!!" Truthfully, she would have loved reuniting with Harper in prison. That was how much she had missed her best friend, her first friend. What was it? You never forgot your first. Or something like that. Maybe that was actually a euphemism for something else but Penelope didn't care because Harper!!! Was here!!!! And they were hugging very closely!! This was the best hug ever, probably.

Only her second day? Why hadn't she seen her yesterday! There were a billion different angles of thoughts going through her head and she couldn't slow down to process them. All she knew was that they were together now and everything was going to be wonderful and fantastic for everyone from now on. Penelope very much believed in soulmates, and considered that maybe Harper was her. Not that soulmates had to be romantic!! But they could if they wanted to.

"Yes!" she said, starting to pull her doodles out of her bag but Harper stopped her. "Omg, Harper... you don't even know if I can draw!!" Okay, she may have been the Best Colorer Girl in elementary school, but that didn't mean she grew up to become a great artist! "Here, look at my stuff anyway," she said, pulling it out and handing it to her.

"Um do you have a room? Because you're actually going to move into mine, sorry. Ari's my roommate and she's really nice!! You'll have to bring your bed from your not-room though." That didn't make any sense, but Penelope barely made sense when she wasn't FREAKING THE FLIP OUT. "I need an extracurricular anyway, and what's better than an extracurricular with you??" She pulled her into a hug again, not caring.

harpelope diggerty 4lyf

HARPER
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll