Hello! Welcome to Once Upon a City, a fairytale, legends, and literature site set in present-day New York City. This is our grand opening, so please take a look around and stop in in the cbox to say hello. We’d love to have you!

Add Reply
New Poll

blind tutor date, eddie | studyin dat math
stella r. hines
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 12:05 PM
dormant
eighteen
Group Icon

nope, do not want, abort mission
The last time Stella had had a tutor, it'd been for Chemistry and he'd been hella cool. She didn't even know where or what Xander was up to nowadays, but she hoped the dude enjoyed whatever he was doing wherever he was doing it. Maybe she'd have to try getting back in contact with him. Did she have his number still? Had she ever gotten it? She figured yes since he had been her tutor and it was kind of important to have your tutor's phone number, but she couldn't remember now. Texting wasn't her thing anyway, and especially not calling, despite the chance to talk talk talk and run up the phone bill to teach her mom that hey maybe Stella didn't want an expensive smart phone and she was rambling now.

This time, her tutor had been recommended by yearbook girl -- Nahnie Strider. Also known as Stella's new best friend probably. For being an upperclassman, she was hella fucking awesome. Stella had been expecting the yearbook interview to suck hardcore, but Nahnie made it easy and fun. The questions had been simple and she actually hadn't been cut off during any of her answers. Her trains of thought were usually very very long, the ones that you hate getting stuck waiting for at a railroad crossing, and people rarely let her finish. But Nahnie had let her and she'd automatically received an A+++ in Stella's book.

So of course, she was going to trust Nahnie on her tutor judgement. Stella was in desperate need of a math tutor -- she'd only admit it just this once -- and this one was free. Her parents had been paying Xander (not that that made him any less great) but Stella had felt a tiny bit guilty for it. Especially because despite all that Chemistry tutoring, she'd still only managed a C on the next test. Wednesdays at the library were easy and simple for her and she was grateful track met on Monday, Tuesday, Thursdays. Stopping at her locker on the way to grab her math book, Stella took a deep breath. Okay, this tutor is probably gonna be really boring and super into math, but that's alright. That's good. And you can put up with it.

Her little pep talk didn't really help and when she stepped into the library with the textbook and binder in hand, she wanted to cringe. When was the last time she'd willingly been in here? Ignoring the distasteful look the librarian was giving her bright outfit, Stella wandered in, looking around for her tutor. Surely they knew she was coming, unless Nahnie had forgotten to relay the message. Stella wouldn't mind if she had -- the girl had too many other great things going on in her life to worry about tutoring. Oh hey look was that?

Of course it was, who was she kidding? Where else would she expect to find Eddie Brooke on a Wednesday after school but than in the library? Figuring it couldn't hurt to say hello while waiting for her new study buddy (study teacher? she didn't think she could actually be buddies with anybody who willingly studied), Stella made her way to his table. Dropping into the chair across from him, she ignored the textbook laid out on the table and grinned at him. "Looks like I've found you in your natural habitat."

this is for eddie. it's 560 words. stella's color ffa600
made by malone at caution 2.0
PM
^
EDGAR M. BROOKE
 Posted: Jun 23 2014, 03:02 PM
DORMANT
seventeen
Group Icon

542 WORDS

STELLA

I move slow and steady But I feel like a waterfall Yeah, I move slow and steady Past the ones that I used to know My dear old friend, take me for a spin Two wolves in the dark, running in the wind I'm letting go, but I've never felt better Passing by all the monsters in my head

Eddie had nothing to do on Wednesdays. He could have perhaps found something else worth his while, but no. Usually he just went to the library to do homework on Wednesdays since he had a lot of it, but he usually got it done pretty quickly. Homework was pretty much the only thing he didn't take slow, unless it was an essay or something that required effort and thought. His math homework was usually pretty plug-and-chug, and that's what gave him the idea.

As pretentious as he was, he realized that not everyone was as apt at math as he was. So he figured, why not help people who were struggling? It gave him something to do, it was generally regarded as "a nice thing to do", and he could spend his Wednesday talking about and doing math, which was pretty great. He also liked explaining it, anyway. It gave him a chance to show off his skill without being a show-off, which was even greater.

Nahnie Strider had told him there was probably going to be a girl coming to tutoring, and he thanked her for spreading the word. She also told him she was cute and he should go for it, he brushed it off as politely as he possibly could. Though she was never anything but nice to him, Nahnie kind of totally scared him. But that was no big deal, as now Eddie had someone to actually tutor. Despite having her and some other people to spread the word around, his free tutoring service had not gotten much business. Despite his and Stella's challenges and bets and whatnot gaining popularity around the school - his name alone was still anonymous, which he preferred.

Eddie was working on his AP Statistics homework while he waited, finding it to be relatively easy, as per usual. AP Calculus AB was a little harder, but only because it required more focus. Not that Eddie really had trouble focusing, especially in the library, but he couldn't just let his mind work on calculus like he could for statistics - sometimes, conscious effort was required. It was easy and he was nearly finished, just about done with the last problem -

"Looks like I've found you in your natural habitat."

Eddie let out a deep sigh and didn't look up at first, finishing the problem and making it look like he was busy. Not that Stella would care, of course. That was just how she was. He put his pencil down and looked up, smirking and leaning back in his chair. "Stella Hines? In a library? How uncharacteristic of you. I'm concerned, to be honest." His voice was only a little quieter than his normal volume. He put the homework in his folder but left the textbook out. You never knew whether or not people would bring their textbooks. He had a few other reference copies from other classes at his feet, under the table, in case they were needed. "And with supplies, no less." Eddie looked at the textbook and binder in mock surprise (even though he was, in fact, a little surprised). "What are you doing in the library? You know there's no running in here."

PM
^
stella r. hines
 Posted: Jul 13 2014, 03:30 AM
dormant
eighteen
Group Icon

Initially ignoring the textbook on the table, she spared it a glance now and noticed immediately the numbers and weird shapes that came with math. Ahh, Eddie, still the same nerd she'd met in history last year. Had it really been a whole year since that dumb teacher had paired them up? That teacher was probably so proud of herself, thinking 'oh, look at me, I got Eddie Brooke and Stella Hines to be friends' or whatever it was they were. Stella still hadn't found a name for it which (sort of surprisingly) annoyed her to no end.

He'd been working on a problem when she arrived, not so quietly. Having pretty much never step foot in a library, Stella spoke at her usual volume which was about five times louder than everybody else's normal. The librarian was giving her a look again, this time one that oh so clearly said 'please be quiet' and Stella rolled her eyes so hard, she was sure she'd be kicked out right then and there. It was kind of ridiculous that there were still staff members at this school who thought she had the ability to be anything but noisy. Looking back at Eddie, irritated that he was still focusing on math, and pretty much very pointedly ignoring her, she quite-very-loudly dropped her textbook and binder onto the table, giving him a very obvious glare.

That sigh was almost music to her ears, having grown used to it as the one associated with her generally being annoying or using the wrong grammar around him on purpose. He finally looked up and the first thing he said was terribly sarcastic and so she scrunched her nose up at him. "You should be concerned; I've fell ill with a disease that makes you dreadfully proper and boring. I think I caught it from you." Ugh, gross, she didn't even want to imagine a world where that was actually possible, though.

She paid no mind to her 'supplies' on the table, ignoring her own math textbook now, too. Her tutor was still nowhere to be found but hey, she didn't mind sitting here and bothering Eddie when he had been busy. "Challenge accepted," she said immediately, half rising from her seat when the librarian loudly cleared her throat, having been eavesdropping on the conversation. Grumbling about how rude it was to be nosy, Stella sat back down and answered less enthusiastically, "tutoring or something, I don't know."

this is for eddie. it's 419 words. stella's color ffa600
PM
^
EDGAR M. BROOKE
 Posted: Aug 5 2014, 03:37 AM
DORMANT
seventeen
Group Icon

542 WORDS

STELLA

I move slow and steady But I feel like a waterfall Yeah, I move slow and steady Past the ones that I used to know My dear old friend, take me for a spin Two wolves in the dark, running in the wind I'm letting go, but I've never felt better Passing by all the monsters in my head

Eddie noted the tension between Stella and the librarian (if he weren't her apparent archenemy, he was sure it would be a librarian), so braced himself for a defiant act of - there. He didn't even flinch when she dropped her books, only blinked. He was wise to Stella's reactions; he usually knew what to expect unless it was when it really mattered, as in during the challenges he had been losing miserably.

If it were anyone but Stella, he would have applauded the "sick burn" Stella just made, because it was actually pretty spectacular. Of course, he would never admit it to Stella or anyone. He was too proud to do that, and his ego had taken enough bullets lately. "Well, that's ironic, because I've had these weird fits where I turn really loud an obnoxious. We're probably spending too much time together." His voice was laden with sarcasm. Eddie actually really didn't believe they were spending too much time together. Part of him didn't think they were spending enough time together, but that part was irrelevant. In case she didn't catch the sarcasm, he cracked a half-smile at her.

Eddie actually didn't forsee her standing up to go run, but the librarian shutting her down made him chuckle. Actually, he would have full on laughed had he not been in a library.

He stopped chuckling when she said what she was here for, though.

Of course Eddie put the pieces together right away, but was kind of in denial about it. It's not that he didn't lo like Stella, but the thought of tutoring her was just.... weird. Awkward. Something like that.

"That's strange, because I'm actually here to tutor..." He shrugged. "Probably just a coincidence, right?"

PM
^
stella r. hines
 Posted: Aug 23 2014, 08:29 PM
dormant
eighteen
Group Icon

What even was the deal with librarians? Were all them as stuffy and pretentious as the one currently giving her a very nasty glare? If Stella were a librarian (God forbid), she would be totally chill and so what if there were some kids that wanted to be noisy. If students wanted to study or read, they could do that at home on their own time. As if school wasn't bad enough, she didn't need kids being productive in her library. Not that she ever would be a librarian, because then she would hate her job and she would hate herself and she would hate everything and that would really really suck. Yeah, she was pretty sure she hated librarians more than she hated Eddie, which wasn't even that much anymore. But like, when they had first met. Okay actually, she probably hadn't hated anybody more than she had hated Eddie the moment he called her lazy. Never mind that he'd explained and corrected himself after.

Stella wasn't sorry for the smirk she was wearing or the pride welling up in her chest from such a great insult. Man, she was clever. Eddie definitely had to give her props for that one even though she knew he would never admit to it. Which was exactly why she decided to give herself props from him, anyway. He pretty much got her right back, though, and she sneered at him with much less malice then intended. "Ha ha." Stella was pretty sure she spent most of her time with him but she didn't really count it since they weren't exactly friendly during it. Giving him her own half-smile, she looked away quickly after and told herself that Eddie's smiles were just the same as everybody else's and that no she didn't want to see it more often.

"Shut up," she told him, absolutely catching onto his laugh when she was not-so-verbally scolded by the librarian. Maybe she would have to come in some day, dragging Eddie with her (not that she would have to drag him to a library), and race through the aisles with reckless abandon. See how the dumb strict librarian would like THAT. Watching Eddie's face fall would normally cheer Stella up but seeing as it happened as soon as she mentioned tutoring, well. That made her sort of uneasy. Please don't say the thing, she thought. But of course he did and she groaned, dropping her face into her palms. "And here I thought Nahnie was my friend!" She would definitely be talking to yearbook girl about his.

Sighing loudly, Stella pulled her math book back towards her and opened it to where she last had it dog-eared. "If you can stand to tutor me, I really need to bring my grade up." Okay, so they didn't get along on most days. Okay, so everybody knew about their silly challenges and bets. Okay, so you didn't go anywhere nowadays without hearing her name or his name in the same sentence. But if Stella was being totally honest, she wouldn't mind so much being tutored by Eddie. If anyone knew how much Eddie knew, it was Stella, and he was her best bet for a better grade.

this is for eddie. it's 551 words. stella's color ffa600
PM
^
EDGAR M. BROOKE
 Posted: Dec 28 2014, 12:23 AM
DORMANT
seventeen
Group Icon

idk WORDS

STELLA

Honestly, librarians were some of Eddie's favorite classification of people. They were so kind, but had a firm hand with people who disturbed the gentle peace of the library. Eddie considered being a librarian at one point, but he would not be able to handle loud, obnoxious kids coming in. He was sure it would drive him insane, in fact. That dream was short lived and he didn't mind it at all. There were so many things Eddie could do, after all, being the genius he was, and he wanted to explore all his options.

Wow, that was extremely egotistical of him. Perhaps he really was hanging out with Stella too much. With that prideful smirk and her general aura of sheer boastfulness, anyone would either start feeling a boost of overconfidence or a blow to self-esteem. Nevertheless, he continued to smile at her. Eddie didn't hate Stella, honestly. He just lo- loathed the way she acted sometimes. After making brief eye contact with her, he looked away about the same time she did, feeling his heart flutter for a moment. Strange, he hadn't had any caffiene lately. What would make his heart race in such a way? Oh well, it really wasn't that important.

Eddie shrugged when she told him to shut up. Okay, cool, he didn't need to talk incessantly to be content. Ooh, maybe he should have said that one out loud? No, no, that would be too harmful, and he didn't like hurting Stella's feelings. That was probably the only time he felt guilty for anything, and he hated every moment of it.

"So Nahnie recommended you to me? It's almost like she was-" setting us up. Holy shit, how did he almost say that out loud? His carefully calculated words just committed mutiny and he suddenly felt extremely uncomfortable. "Well, uh, she obviously cares because she wants you to have the best." Fuck, fuck fuck

Eddie calmed himself internally the moment before he noticed Stella's dog-eared page and stifled a groan. Dog-earing a personal book was one thing, but a textbook? He got over it enough to glance at the material and smiled. "Yeah, of course I can tutor you," he said, with a surprising deal of kindness. Some of it was forced, of course, because of that corner, but he wasn't about to be rude to Stella now. He was in tutor mode. Adjusting his glasses, he asked, "So, what are you having issues with?"

PM
^
stella r. hines
 Posted: Jul 1 2015, 09:20 PM
dormant
eighteen
Group Icon

Stella rifled through her binder, looking for the latest assignment sheet. She would know it when she saw it, namely because it was printed at the top 'Complex Planes' but mostly because she'd drawn an angry face in the upper left corner. Yup, there it was. Pulling the two page packet out (printed on both fucking sides, just make it four so she knew what she was going to have to deal with), she set the binder aside and swore under her breath when she realized she hadn't brought anything else. Not a pencil or calculator or anything remotely useful. Whatever, at least she'd brought herself and her "eagerness to learn" or whatever the fuck.

Almost like she was what, Eddie? What was he going for there? It probably didn't matter. Stella was going to talk to Nahnie after this, anyway, something along the lines of 'why would you do this' but also 'thanks i guess' in the most disgruntled way possible. Stella rolled her eyes but smiled anyway, "I'm glad you're the best at something." Well, that was uncalled for, but she figured she couldn't be blamed. Maybe once he actually won some of their bets. "I'm sorry. That was rude." Leave it to her to be mean to probably the only person in this school who would actually be willing to tutor her.

"She knows, like, everybody in this school, I swear. Nahnie thinks you're the best at math, congratulations." That or Nahnie had done this on purpose. Which Stella didn't even want to think about because she was already confused enough by the papers in front of her. "These," she answered unhelpfully, gesturing to her textbook and assignment. "I just-- I don't," she paused to sigh, taking a deep breath after. "Whose bright idea was it to come up with imaginary numbers?"

this is for eddie. it's short
PM
^
EDGAR M. BROOKE
 Posted: Jul 9 2015, 12:57 AM
DORMANT
seventeen
Group Icon

SHORT AS FUCK AGAIN

STELLA

Noticing that she didn't bring her supplies, Eddie got another pencil out of his bag and set it down in front of her without a word, and moved his calculator towards her. No reason to hurt anyone's pride. Rolling his eyes, he felt indifferent towards that comment, or at least, he pretended to. He was the best at a lot of things, thank you very much. "It's okay, Stella, you have to sleep at night somehow," he said, being more of a little shit than usual, as Nahnie would say. He was totally kidding though, but maybe it was best if they moved on.

"That's because I am the best at math," he said as he would any other fact. He was in a senior AP math course, after all, and he was only a junior. He looked at the paper, and understood instantly. Eddie was here to answer questions, so he broke hers down.

"Well technically, Heron of Alexandria was the first noted to come up with them, though Rafael Bombelli came up with the rules for multiplication in 1572." He wasn't a history tutor, though, and Stella was definitely going to make fun of him for knowing that, but he really couldn't help it. Clearing his throat, he asked, "What part do you not understand? Some of it? All of it?" He liked to have a frame of reference so he didn't go through information she already knew.

this
PM
^
stella r. hines
 Posted: Jul 12 2015, 03:02 AM
dormant
eighteen
Group Icon

Stella gave him a grateful look and she hoped that would be enough. She was already growing frustrated at the idea of having to do math outside of math class and it was giving her headache. At least he was still giving her the same smart ass attitude she was used to. Stella just scrunched her nose up at him and made an annoyed face before picking the pencil up and tapping it against the table.

"Okay, Eddie, calm the heck down," she said, voice quiet, after having finally taken enough of the librarian shooting lasers from her eyes at the back of Stella's head. Maybe that's why she had a headache. She didn't doubt he was but didn't mean she was going to agree with him. Nahnie had already made it clear and Stella figured that was enough of an ego boost for Eddie today.

What... the fuck. "Are you fucking--" she snapped, voice rising again, before she stopped, pinching the bridge of her nose. "This isn't history," she said, sounding genuinely angry, brought back to her Freshman days of being a horrid bitch for no good reason. This was fine. She could handle this. It was just math.

"Yeah," she said honestly, flipping the packet to page two. "These, though, I guess, the most." As if imaginary numbers weren't bad enough, people were putting them into graphs. As if one number line wasn't bad enough, now there were two. It was stupid. This was stupid. She was stupid. "Okay, no wait, let me," Having to move the packet back and forth so neither of them would have to read upside down or sideways was also stupid.

Gritting her teeth and sighing, Stella got up from her chair and moved it to the other side of the table so she was sat next to Eddie. Now that the numbers were right side up for both of them, she continued. "Complex numbers? I get how real and imaginary numbers make a complex one, but how? Why? Since when does math have anything to do with imagination?" She sounded so fucking stupid, why had she agreed to this?

this is for eddie. complex planes
PM
^
EDGAR M. BROOKE
 Posted: Nov 2 2016, 01:36 AM
DORMANT
seventeen
Group Icon

SHORT AS FUCK AGAIN

Eddie looked pointedly at Stella as she told him to calm down. Stella Hines... telling Edgar Brooke... to calm down... he would have laughed, were he not so calm as it was. Her pencil tapping against the table, however, started to bother a headache he had been trying desperately to avoid. He didn't get headaches so much around Stella anymore, supposing he had built up a tolerance, but this whole situation was difficult for him to process.

The fact that this was almost like a blind da- well, that they had been set up for reasons other than tutoring, still lingered in the back of his mind. Time to distract himself with the familiarity of numbers and graphs. (God, he really was a fucking nerd. Not that he'd start feeling self-conscious about it, but -)

"You're right, sorry," he said, quietly and matter-of-factly, not making a big deal out of it in the hopes that she wouldn't notice he had admitted she was right. Part of him knew, though, that the small admittal of defeat might be the only thing Stella picked up from this tutoring session. No... that was rude, and probably inaccurate. It wasn't based out of her inability as a student, but of his shortcomings as a teacher.

Eddie tensed slightly as Stella picked up her chair and plopped it down right next to him. Which, of course, made a lot more sense, but he really wasn't used to being so close to another person, especially not her. Relax. He faked like he was stretching his shoulders back and leaned forward to look over the packet. It wasn't asking for an essay about imaginary numbers; it just had a couple graphs to interpret and equations to graph. There was one word problem, but he'd get to that later. "Well, sometimes with math, you can't really focus on the 'why'. You just have to accept it as fact, follow the procedure in your notes, and plug in the numbers you need." He shrugged, hoping that a little bit of wisdom might help calm her nerves and make her more open to actual help. "It can all get a little... complex..."

"Do you have your notes with you?"

this & this
PM
^
stella r. hines
 Posted: Mar 18 2017, 04:16 AM
dormant
eighteen
Group Icon

Stella tried not to focus too hard on the fact that Eddie had just said she was right about something. No big deal because she had been right, regardless of whether or not he agreed. This wasn’t history they were studying, it was math. Although, she wouldn’t be surprised if she went to him at some point for tutoring in history. If this went well enough, maybe Stella would just find Eddie whenever she needed help with her schoolwork. She bothered him a lot already, surely he wouldn’t mind if their hangouts were a bit more academic sometimes?

God, who even was she anymore.

Stella didn’t pay enough attention to her surroundings to notice Eddie going stiff beside her. It was a good thing, probably, lest her insecurities get the best of her. She hadn’t forgotten her days of being too over the top. She’d been too loud back then, too obnoxious, too much. She’d been the definition of Extra™ before it’d even become an actual thing. She was better now, she thought, thanks to Eddie and Pennie and Nahnie. That didn’t mean her anxieties suddenly went away, though. Blinking hard, once twice, to clear her thoughts, Stella focused back on Eddie. That was not a path she wanted to head down today.

Propping her chin up on her hand, Stella listened intently. She could do this. Her place on the Track team depended on this grade. “Okay,” she said, doing her very best to be patient, even as her leg began to bounce up and down. She appreciated him for making this as simple as he could. … Despite their tradition and the slight twitch of her fingers, Stella laughed. A short, quiet laugh, but one nonetheless. “Shut up,” she told him again, almost fondly, before digging through her bag for her notes. Maybe it was the atmosphere of the library, maybe it was that there could be humor found in math of all things.

They’re not very good,” she admitted, “though I’ve got them organized best I can.” It was probably the nicest system Stella had for anything. Since her notes tended to be sporadic and messy, she’d taken to adding tabs to each page and labeling that tab what was written on the page. Complex Planes was written on four of them, scattered throughout the notebook. She flipped open to the first, cringing at her handwriting; it wasn’t ineligible, per say, but she wrote so quickly, most of it wouldn’t make much sense to anybody besides her. “Um… sorry if it’s hard to read.

Stella could picture Eddie’s notes now: written in pen probably, even lines and bullet points, sharp numbers and graphs. She couldn’t help the wistful sigh at the very thought of being able to easily navigate one’s notes.

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skinned by birgitte @ caution 2.0 and shine
OUR AFFILIATES
AA
The Enchanted Forest No Salvation Southern Winds Weyr Shining New Era disney personified potterverse