prologue
nce upon a city is a ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
staff
credit
skin made for ouac by hedgie
table of contents
newest chapters
#/# update here

#/# update here

#/# update here

affiliates

Add Reply
New Poll

what're you in for?, ari feat. dan
arianna b. harvey
 Posted: Aug 18 2015, 02:04 AM

'cause I'm best known for failure, best known for giving up
Tag: dantheman22 | idek the ### of words | Outfit | Notes: yo

There weren't any perks that came with an eating disorder. I mean, some days it meant getting out of school 'cause her clinic had weird hours, but even though she didn't wanna be there, missing stuff she definitely wouldn't get on her own just made tests even more stressful. It was one of these afternoons, her school time cut short that she found herself sitting in a hospital gown doodling sick old people and nurses at the station that she could see from the uncomfortable bed. She was surrounded by metal and sterility. It was a far cry from the earthy tones she'd worn today, as if wearing them could almost get her back to them.

There was a lot of concrete, too. The view from the window was of a concrete roof of some shorter building. What floor was she even on? She hadn't been paying attention. It wasn't like she'd be here long enough for anyone to visit, anyways. Sighing at her shoes on the floor, she hadn't quite resigned herself to being here for a while yet. She was still antsy. Fresh nerves from having her blood drawn, her slight anemia giving them cause to stuff her in a scratchy gown that smelled like a nursing home and stick her in a room that didn't smell nearly as appealing. And came with all of the nursing equipment to boot.

Well. If she stayed long enough she could possibly get a free meal. That was cool. Less money to ask her parents for. She sighed to herself. Ari had no idea how their bank account was doing through all this, and she was honestly a little afraid to bring it up. Afraid she was putting a strain on the already stretched family bonds. Not that it seemed the ones with her parents would ever break, at least on their end. What with how much Ari DIDN'T keep in contact, their regular correspondence was more of a comfort than she cared to admit.

But homesickness wasn't why she was stuck in the hospital. She'd already talked to the shrink, and they'd seemed glad she was making friends now. She had a good roommate, had met a few other people she got along with. She hadn't told them about Jacob's letters, but did say he'd invited her to go places. It felt a bit like forced reconciliation, so she hadn't accepted any invitation yet. She did keep busy, though. Ever since her first long hospital stays, her nose had been stuck in books.

Remembering that, she picked up a pen and finished a rendering of a nurse from behind, detailing the falling hair and the folds in her scrubs, trying to capture the motion of her brisk walk. It was like this, cross-legged in her bed and bent over that she was greeted not by a nurse telling her she could leave but by a boy being wheeled in and put in bed. The people moving him didn't acknowledge her, save one who smiled at her on their way out. They hadn't drawn the curtain, and she looked over curiously. She wasn't often in the hospital long enough for roommates. They didn't even do that much in rehab.

★ jinx
PMEmail
^
DAN W. KAPLAN
 Posted: Aug 19 2015, 10:40 PM

I lost my fear of falling
This one had been a particularly bad one. He’d cried. That didn’t happen that often

He’d woken up in his bed at around 3am with everything around him soaked: the clothes he’d collapsed in the night before, his bedsheets, his hair and skin, like he’d just gotten out of a really dangerous hot tub. Instantly he felt the nausea, the heat rising in his chest like vomit, though nothing came out—there was really nothing in there, he had been studying nonstop for finals and hadn’t eaten in, like 36 hours #seniorlife. Then his throat had closed. Gasping for air that didn’t exist, hacking and probably making weird noises, eyes tight shut as if the darkness would make this all go away, he’d managed to fumble around for his phone and, with soaked, uncontrollably shaking fingers, text the first person on his speed dial—Jackson.

Jackson, I nedsoifed you to call an aasambulanccrse and send It TO MY R0om righdsat nowaw.. A pause, a minute—Dan’s vision was blurring, his head was swimming, his left side was in pain, and his cheeks were coated in panicked tears. Jackssdfon, please, I nEED Yfdsgavfsgsdou o do thdfis n his hands stopped working suddenly—his phone clattered to the floor.

Bleary-eyed paramedics had shown up, shoved oxygen down his throat, loaded him onto a stretcher, shut the metal door, sealing him in darkness. A woman in a blue suit held his hand. The ambulance lurched and his stomach lurched—he threw up into a bucket once, twice, three times, feeling a greater desire to #just #fucking #die than he ever had before.

Hospital, an onslaught of a plastic smell. ICU, poking, prodding, needles everywhere, pain, and then…sleep. Blissful, peaceful sleep.

He woke up in a new room—the blue wallpaper made him instantly recognize it as not an ICU, #thankthefuckinglord. So he wasn’t going to die, then. And he could breathe. And…eat, presumably? Man, could he get something to eat in this dump? He was fucking starving.

He glanced at the person in the bed next to him. She seemed to be busy with some book. Well, he’d try not to take too much of her time. Maybe if she liked reading, she’d like reading his message? Nah, that was dumb. Well, he’d tried. Groaning slightly from soreness, he reached over to the bedside table, and pulled over the whiteboard and marker that the nurses had left for him, like they always did. Nice that they’d remembered, although #fuckthewhiteboard and everything, seriously.

Hey, sorry, but do you know when the nurse is going to be back? he wrote in as neat handwriting as possible, which was, of course, still pretty messy, because Dan was a failure, but hopefully she’d get the #gist.
BY MONICA OUTFIT HERE
PM
^
arianna b. harvey
 Posted: Sep 4 2015, 11:32 PM

'cause I'm best known for failure, best known for giving up
Tag: dantheman22 | idek the ### of words | Outfit | Notes: yo

Was he asleep? He seemed to be… Well, this might be a bit awkward. Her, staring at a sleeping guy. Still, he looked a bit familiar. As soon as she thought it, he moved a bit, and she started. Fumbling with her journal, she bent back over it, perpetually fucking up her back. She looked down at the nurse picture and started doodling flowers on the side of the page to busy herself. Or at least to look busy. Wow, that was an interesting way to draw a rose that she definitely hadn’t done a million times before. Wow, that looked kind of like a generic flower tattoo. Good job, me.

Glancing back towards him, he was definitely awake. He was breathing louder, which she only noticed because her heart had calmed down from its momentary panic. Though just her eyes flickered over there, she felt self-conscious enough about it that she sighed and rolled her shoulders, straightening up a bit. She was getting way too tense. Who was she kidding, she was always too tense. She laughed to herself a bit, then stiffened. Oh god he probably thought he was roomed with a lunatic now. She was incapable of being nonchalant.

It was then, staring down at her nervous sketchy mess that she detected movement in her periphery. Glancing up curiously, she noticed he’d grabbed something from the bedside table… Was that a whiteboard? Her head tilted to the side just as he finished writing something and held it out to her. She leaned back a bit in her surprise, but quickly understanding that she should read it, relaxed forward again. She felt like she must’ve looked like some scared animal.

It wasn’t that bad, honestly. The handwriting was boyish but not indecipherable. She'd certainly seen, and been responsible for worse. In response to the question she frowned then looked back up to meet his eyes and shrugged. β€œThey kind of just dumped you in here and left without saying anything,” she told him, hoping that wasn’t too blunt for someone who just woke up. β€œLike, literally, they didn’t look like they were being too careful,” she rambled. She stopped to wonder why he wrote on a whiteboard. He was in the hospital, so was it like a throat thing? Tonsils, maybe?

As she tried not to analyze everything and failed miserably as usual, she could feel the recognition bubbling. She looked at him, puzzled. β€œI feel like I know you…” Then it hit her. β€œOh! I’m sorry, can you read lips? I just… Oh god, I’m sorry, I’m being totally inconsiderate.” The words tumbled out of her in a blur. She was pretty sure he could read lips, she’d seen him talking with friends and they didn’t always sign, so he could probably read lips. Grasping her pen which had been held loosely in her limp hand, she moved to the page opposite her drawing and scrawled something out, which she then leaned over and passed as far as she could reach to his table with the pen, figuring it might be a bit small to read from a distance. She bit her lip absently, hoping this was okay.

Hi. It’s Dan, right? I’m Ari. Or Arianna, if you prefer. Sorry I didn’t recognize you right away, I didn’t expect to see anyone else from Baum here!

β˜… jinx
PMEmail
^
DAN W. KAPLAN
 Posted: Sep 12 2015, 02:03 AM

I lost my fear of falling
Well, the woman was talking to him. This was awkward. The lips were moving, and Dan did his instinctive silly attempt to read. He recognized β€œyou”, and β€œany”…anyone? Anything? Any…#ugh. #Fuck. He hated reading lips, and he hated himself for how terrible he was at it, and he hated whatever God was up there for making lips so much harder to read than hands. He gave up, trying to remain polite-ish-looking, not to convey the frustration he was feeling.

Oh good, she seemed to have gotten the idea. She scribbled, then passed him her notebook. Well, that was a nice touch #fuckthewhiteboard. Notebooks were just classier, or like, something like that. He quickly read.

Arianna…that name sounded familiar. Dan took a closer look at her face than he had before. Definitely a Baum student, which was a funny coincidence, since the fact that she clearly wasn’t deaf meant that they probably had completely unrelated ailments or like, whatever, and had ended up in this room together by chance, or accident, or #wizardmagic, or #shutupDan.

Wait, her handwriting. Something about it was familiar. He’d seen it on like, a paper, or a board, or something. #OH. Harvey? Arianna Harvey?

Hey, yeah, Dan. The paper felt weirdβ€”he’d really stopped hand-writing his class notes, and even his math class had started allowing stuff to be done on the computer. This journal felt like an old thing you might like, see in a museum or something. Except that obviously he was using it, so it wasn’t really like that at all. But #yougettheidea. #Hopefully.

Are you in my history class? That would make sense, he could swear he’d seen her there before, in like the third row or something. But since he was always in the back, he could also be totally wrongβ€”back-of-hair wasn’t the greatest way to identify a girl, particularly when you were as un-perceptive as Dan. #Whatever, man. Dantheman22 was a #bigpicture guy.

If she was the girl in his history class, though, then Dan wondered what she could be doing here. He racked his brains, but couldn’t think of any time in the past few days when she’d seemed sick or injuredβ€”for all he’d seen of her, she was fairly well-adjusted and normal, for a high school girl. Had her like, appendix burst or something? Some huge surprise? That stuff sucked. Dan knew those sorts of visits all too well. What are you here for, if you don’t mind my asking? I hope you’re feeling better from whatever it was. Okay, hopefully that last part would make him sound not-nosy.

BY MONICA OUTFIT HERE
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll